Sunday, January 1, 2012

The new basement bar

I've decided to start the new year by making more room in the basement, so I'm selling Dad's old original 1970 Rec-Creation free standing bar:








It's really kinda beat up from over 40 years of heavy use.  The top leather is scratched up, the legs keep falling off, the built in can opener is a bit tough to use, but what great memories (I'm crying just thinking about selling it!).  Yet, in the spirit of decluttering my life, something I've been doing for the last 2 1/2 years, I'm letting it go to a nice family who'll make as much memories with it as we did (many an eggnog during the holidays was served from it).

So, now we come to the real reason:

I had to make room for the new bar!  I've always wanted an old saloon type backbar but could never afford the thousands of dollars for one.  On Friday Dec 30th I had nothing better to do than run around town eating up gas going to second hand stores.  Two Goodwills, one ARC, and an antique store I can never afford (but really fun to go to) I ended up at Unique Thrift Shop just half a mile down the road from me.  I had been there once before but never really looked.  My finds:
One westerny looking hutch with lots of architectural details - $10
One TV console with great shelves and awesome hardware - $15
1/2 yard each of two fabrics that match my decor - already had
Two very large gold and burgundy fancy tassels - $1 each

Don't know what I'll do with the tassels but considering that these are usually $15-$20 each this was a great find.  I do love "treasure" hunting.

I wish I had before pics of the console, so I'll try to describe it.  The front door panels are cheap particalboard/cardboard covered in woodgrain shelving paper with two slats on each that were falling off.  When the slats did come off they pulled off the paper.  I took the doors off, cut out the fabric panels, glued them in place, and tucked the sides under the top/bottom/side slats.  The center was open shelving, so I made a curtain with the other fabric but didn't quite have enough.  I took the left over panel fabric and made a pseudo ruffle on the bottom of the curtain.  I already had a very small tension rod that fit perfectly.  I'm thinking about painting the console to match my actual TV console I got from IKEA, but we'll see.  I might get a piece of left over granite counter top to go ontop, but that's for another day, when I have money, after I finish the counter top in the kitchen.

More pics for your enjoyment:





Now I've got storage and a place to display all those mugs and steins!  A great weekend project for anyone, if you just find the right pieces.  Of course, I'm still dreaming of that big Irish bar that spans the whole wall, has back mirror, displays everything, holds a lot more booze..... (you get the idea).  I can dream, can't I?  For now I have a very unique bar for $25.  Let the partying begin!!!

Happy New Year, everyone!
Jawa Jaka (partying like it's 2012 -- at my new bar!)

No comments:

Post a Comment