Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Phase 2 The Patio is Finished!

After five weeks of hard labor (and a couple months before that of planning), I now have a front patio I can be proud of. Tomorrow I'll put together the porch swing. By Friday I'll be sipping lemonade on my new porch. Awe, summertime is finally here....
Tools of the trade: a prong to clean out the leaves and tamp the polymer sand between the stones, a trowel to shovel small amounts of sand between the stones, a good clean stiff brush to wipe off excess sand, and the polymer sand itself. You'll also need a mist sprayer on a garden hose to wet the sand as per instructions on the bucket (follow instructions carefully!).
The brand of polymeric sand I used. It's not mortar but some kind of binding material mixed with very fine sand to make a pseudo mortar. It seems very strong so far (no stones moving yet).
Close up view of the polymer sand in between.
The finished patio, still wet from misting the polymer sand.
View from the front door.
I even dug in a flagstone shelf for my first potted plant (verbenas). Red, white, and blue all the way.
Of course, it's not really finished until kitty tested and approved. OK, Smokey definitely likes it, brick pavers aren't moving, so now it's finished!
And where was Fritz? Stalking a squirrel, of course!
Until next time,
Jawa Jaka
enjoying a warm Colorado summer day on her new front porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment